October 15, 2012

The Golliwogs - Walking on the Water (1966)

A concise, summarized history of this group can be found on the page “The Blue Velvets – Oh My Love (1961),” as The Blue Velvets was this group’s initial name as early as 1959.

While using the name featured in this post, the band released seven singles for Fantasy Records. One of the co-owners of Fantasy, Max Weiss, had originally renamed them from The Blue Velvets to The Visions, but just before their single was released for Fantasy in November 1964, he had changed it to The Golliwogs, referencing a rather politically incorrect (and popular) doll from the late 19th century. Although none of the singles did well in San Francisco (where they had been released), one of them did rather well in Miami, FL.

In December 1967, the group changed their name yet again, this final time to Creedence Clearwater Revival, which, coincidentally can be read about and heard at our previous post, “Creedence Clearwater Revival – Penthouse Pauper (1969)”.

This song, coming from their Golliwogs era, was recorded in August 1966 and released in September 1966 on the Scorpio label. It was later rerecorded and released on their first album under the CCR name and renamed to “Walk on the Water.” Personally, I prefer this earlier version. Comparatively, this version is roughly a minute and a half shorter.

album art

The Golliwogs - Walking on the Water (1966)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

Late last night, I went for a walk
Down by the river near my home
Couldn't believe- with my own eyes
And I swear I'll never leave my home again

I saw a man walking on the water
Coming right at me from the other side
Calling out my name, "Do not be afraid"
Feet begin to run, pounding in my brain

I don't want to go, I don't want to go
No, no, no, no, no, I don't want to go

Late last night, I saw a man
Comin’ right at me
Comin’ right at me
I saw him walk, walk, walk
I saw him walk, walk, walk
I saw him walk, walk, walk, walk, walk

No comments:

Post a Comment