July 09, 2012

Édith Piaf - Tu Es Partout (1941)

Born in Paris, France, in 1915, this artist was a French singer and cultural icon who became a worldwide star in the 1930s and ‘40s. Named after the British World War I nurse, Edith Cavell, she was abandoned by her parents at a young age and lived with her paternal grandmother in her grandmother’s brothel. Her big break came when she was discovered singing in the streets by a cabaret owner, Louis Leplée. Nicknaming her “la môme piaf,” or, “the little sparrow,” Piaf would later be a suspect when Leplée was murdered. She stood only four feet eight inches tall, claimed to be a part of the French Resistance while entertaining German Nazis at a nightclub in occupied France, and helped targeted individuals escape from Nazi persecution.

This song was released in 1941 for the movie Montmartre-sur-Seine and more recently appeared in Saving Private Ryan. It has been said that if she had been born as a black woman in the United States, she would have sung the blues. Her lyrics almost always surrounded her difficult upbringing and therefore represented a sad and lonely feeling. Below, an English translation of the lyrics to her song has been included to emphasize that her music was most definitely the blues.

album art

Édith Piaf - Tu Es Partout (1941)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

French Lyrics English Lyrics

Nous nous aimions bien tendrement
Comme s'aiment tous les amants
Et puis un jour tu m'as quittee
Depuis je suis desesperee
Je te vois partout dans le ciel
Je te vois partout sur la terre
Tu es ma joie et mon soleil
Ma nuit, mes jours, mes aubes claires

Tu es partout car tu es dans mon coeur
Tu es partout car tu es mon bonheur
Toutes les choses qui sont autour de moi
Meme la vie ne represente que toi
Des fois je reve que je suis dans tes bras
Et qu'a l'oreille tu me parles tout bas
Tu dis des choses qui font fermer les yeux
Et moi je trouve ca merveilleux

Peut-etre un jour tu reviendras
Je sais que mon coeur t'attendras
Tu ne pourras pas oublier
Les jours que nous avons passes
Mes yeux te cherchent sans arret
Ecoute bien mon coeur t'appelle
Nous pourrons si bien nous aimer
Tu verras la vie sera belle

We loved each other tenderly
We loved like all lovers
Then one day you left me
Ever since, I’ve been desperate
I see you everywhere in the sky
I see you everywhere on the earth
You are my joy and my sun
My nights, my days, my clear dawns

You are everywhere because you are in my heart
You are everywhere because you are my happiness
Everything that is around me
Even life does not represent you
Sometimes I dream that I am in your arms
And you speak softly in my ears
You say things that make me close my eyes
And I find that marvelous

Maybe one day you’ll return
I know that my heart waits for you
You cannot forget
The past days we spent together
My eyes never stop searching for you
Listen well, my heart calls for you
We can love each other again
And you’ll see: life would be beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment