April 30, 2012

Cheech & Chong - Basketball Jones (1973)

Composed of Richard “Cheech” Marin and Tommy Chong, this duo is one of the earliest comedy acts to be classified under “stoner” comedy. Throughout their numerous albums and films, they targeted the hippie population with their marijuana-centered comedy. Their routines eventually earned them a Grammy Award. Currently reuniting, the duo has a feature film scheduled for release later this year.

This comedy song comes from the duo’s third album, Los Cochinos (translated “The Pigs”). The song features the following musicians: George Harrison on guitar; Klaus Voormann on bass; Nicky Hopkins on piano; Carole King on electric piano; Billy Preston on organ; Michelle Phillips (of The Mamas and The Papas) as a backup singing "cheerleader"; and many other notable musicians/acts of the era. The track reached number thirty-six in Canada, and would later be covered by Barry White and Chris Rock for the 1996 film Space Jam.

album art

Cheech & Chong - Basketball Jones (1973)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

Basketball jones, I got a basketball jones
Got a basketball jones, oh baby, ooh

Yes, I am the victim of a basketball jones. Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'. In fact, I was the baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood. Then, one day, my mama bought me a basketball. And I loved that basketball. I took that basketball with me everywhere I went. That basketball was like a basketball to me.

I even put that basketball underneath my pillow. Maybe that's why I can't sleep at night. I need help, ladies and gentlemens. I need someone to stand beside me. I need- I need someone to set a pick for me at the free-throw line of life. Someone I can pass to; someone to hit the open man on the give-and-go and not end up in the popcorn machine. So cheerleaders, help me out!

(Basketball jones, I got a basketball jones)
(I got a basketball jones, oh baby, ooh)

Oh, that sounds so sweet. Sing it out. C'mon Coach Booty, Red Blazer, sing along with me. That be bad, honky, yeah. I want everybody in the whole stadium to stand up and sing with us. Oh yeah, sing it out like you're proud. All right, everybody watchin' coast-to-coast, sing along with us. Bill Russell, sing along with us. Chick Hearn, sing along with us. Chris Schenkel, don't sing nothin'.

(Basketball jones, I got a basketball jones)
(I got a basketball jones, oh baby, ooh)

Oh, it feels so good. Gimme the ball. I'll go one-on-one against the world, left-handed. I could stuff it from center court with my toes. I could jump on top of the backboard, take off a quarter, leave fifteen cents change. I could- I could dribble behind my back. I got more moves than ex-lax. I'm bad. I could dribble with my tongue. Here I go down court, try to stop me. You can't stop me 'cause I got a basketball jones. Here I come. That's my hook shot with my eyebrow. Yeah, I could dunk it with my nose. I'm- I'm bad as King Kong- gimme the ball. I'm hot- I'm hot as- I'm hot as- I'm hot as- uh, uh, uh, uh, uh…

(Basketball jones, I got a basketball jones)
(I got a basketball jones, oh baby, ooh)
(Basketball jones, I got a basketball jones)
(I got a basketball jones, oh baby, ooh)…

No comments:

Post a Comment