October 16, 2011

Gary Lewis & The Playboys - Face In a Crowd (1966)

Gaining a following by performing at Disneyland to a full house each night, this group is primarily remembered for their hit “This Diamond Ring”. Their front man, Gary Lewis, was the son of famous comedian Jerry Lewis, who got the band to appear on The Ed Sullivan Show through his connections. The band had to fake playing their instruments to pre-recorded tracks because they had sneakily used session musicians in the studio to “maximize their chances for a hit”. The group continued to appear on television shows and have (smaller) hits throughout the ‘60s.

This song is one of their smaller hits from their 1966 album Hits Again!

Gary Lewis & The Playboys - Face In a Crowd

Gary Lewis & The Playboys - Face In a Crowd (1966)

Loading the ABLYAM player...(Might not work on mobile devices)


Lyrics:

She doesn't know my name
She couldn't feel the same
Got no fortune, got no fame
But she's not to blame

'Cause I'm a guy who's very commonplace
I was born to be another face in a crowd

I met her yesterday
Couldn't think of what to say
So she turned and walked away
It happens every day

'Cause I'm the kind who'd never find a place
I was born to be another face in a crowd

A guy like me never has- has a chance
'Cause I don't rate a second glance

There's millions just like me
Waitin' for a chance to be
Someone who is worthy of
A young girl's love

And I'm so tired of bein' commonplace
I don't wanna be another face in a crowd
[x4]

No comments:

Post a Comment